This week our volunteers installed three screens with pictures near the steering machine. The pictures show the bridge, the steering machine, propellors, rudder and kitchen. Because the exposition room has been used as tailor’s shop, a picture has been added of the tailors at work. The screens were sponsored by WestCord Hotels. The pictures can be seen at the end of the engine room tour from Wednesday till Sunday. The pictures on the screens were made bij Nelson Arnstein, Hans Hoffmann and Klaas Krijnen.
Our volunteers took care of some new items on the ss Rotterdam:
A fine model of the ss Nieuw Amsterdam (1938) has been restored by one of our volunteers. The model comes from the inheritance of Mrs. Rita Brassart (USA). The poster above has been donated by one of our contributors. It can all be found in our museum on C-deck. Picture Klaas Krijnen
A replica of the bronze plaquette of the Rotterdam Drydock Company has been mounted above the main maneuvering panel in the engine room. Picture Koos Sanderse
A flashlight has been mounted on its original place on the Bridge. Picture Klaas Krijnen
A boatswain’s whistle has been placed in the speaking tube to the captain’s cabin. Picture Klaas Krijnen
A vintage hometrainer was donated to us by one of our contributors. It has found a place in the inside swimming pool. Picture Klaas Krijnen
On May 28 1958 the construction of # 300 has progressed. The first picture shows the front of the Promenadedeck. The bollards are in place and the construction for the anchor chains has been started. The front of the deck house on the Promenadedeck has been placed and the Upper-Promenadedeck is under construction. The balcony of the theatre can already be seen.
The second picture shows the aft end of the Promenadedeck. It seems that the end of the deck is not at the length as when the ship was delivered. In the rectangular hole in the deck the stairs to the Lower-Promenadedeck will be placed. In the big hole behind it, the outside swimming pool will be built. The other hole is the shaft to the laundry on C-deck and the refregerating hold on D-deck. The front of the deck house is the present Lido restaurant. Above this deck, the Upper-Promenadedek is under construction.
From today until September 10 a small exhibition can be seen in Rotterdam Discovery beneath Rotterdam Tourist Information, next to the Schielandshuis and the Coolsingel in Rotterdam. Theme of the exhibition is the launch of the ss Rotterdam in September 1959 and her history until now. The exhibition has been created by our foundation in corporation with WestCord Hotels. Pictures Klaas Krijnen.