Welcome to the website of the Friends of steamship Rotterdam
Since 2001 we have been striving for a new life for the ss Rotterdam in the Rotterdam harbour.
The Rotterdam came into service for Holland-America Line as their flagship in 1959. She is the largest passenger liner ever built in the Netherlands and is numbered among the most successful liners which ever sailed the seven seas. The ship has largely kept her original character and remains in good condition. The new owners gave her a profound refurbishment so she can be in service as a static liner for many years. Please explore out website for more information about the history of the ss Rotterdam.
Steamship Rotterdam Foundation, alias Friends of steamship Rotterdam, continues her activities including securing a lasting preservation and use in a culturally and historically responsible manner. We are not the owners or operators of the ship.
Since February 15 2010 the ss Rotterdam is open for the public. WestCord Hotels are the owners since June 2013. Please see the website of the operators www.ssrotterdam.nl for information about possibilities on board.
Become Friend of Steamship Rotterdam!
- You will support the work of our volunteers on the historic steamship Rotterdam
- You will be regularly updated about all news about the ship
On August 4 it is 10 years ago that the ss Rotterdam came back to her birthplace. She came from Wilhelmshaven where the ship was renovated during two years. Even so it took 18 months before the renovation was finished in Rotterdam. Picture: Klaas...read more
At the end of July 1958 the superstructure was ready up to the level of the Sundeck. The anchor machinery is being placed and the breakwater is ready. Work is being done on the top of the shafts to the two forward holds. The second picture shows the temporarily roof...read more
This week our volunteers installed three screens with pictures near the steering machine. The pictures show the bridge, the steering machine, propellors, rudder and kitchen. Because the exposition room has been used as tailor’s shop, a picture has been added of...read more