On December 14, 1956 the keel was laid at the Rotterdam Drydock Company for the biggest ocean liner that ever has been built in The Netherlands. Her name was number 300 until Queen Juliana christened her on September 13, 1958 when the ship was launched.
This week our volunteers replaced parts of the baldachin in the Tropic Bar. This replica of the original is nearing completion. The original baldachin was scrapped in 2006/07 during the renovation of the ship. Picture Koos Sanderse
Thanks to Strik Stoomketelverhuur N.V. we were able to replace the third airscoop on the forward deck.
The restoration of the baldachin in the Tropic Bar is nearing completion.
Our volunteer Jan Fahner has restored the lost piece of art in the inside swimming pool. When the ship was built the artist Jan Rot made an anode aluminium sculpture named ‘Deep sea flora and fauna’. It was placed at the forward bulkhead of the swimming pool. During the years the piece of art was being damaged and in the end it was gone completely. Jan Fahner reconstructed the piece of art using pictures and wood en replaced it at the original location. Of course we promote the renovation of the entire inside pool.
Picture Klaas Krijnen
Watch a YouTube video here.