After the keel was laid on December 1956 the building of the new flagship of Holland America Line, then known as # 300, went prosperous. On March 28 1958 the front of the Promenadedeck was almost ready, as can be seen on the first picture. Next to the tent the two forward shafts can be seen. On the second picture the aft end of the Lower-Promenadedeck is still open. The booths on the deck are the future bathrooms. Between them the aft shaft to the laundry and refrigerating hold can be seen. In front of the letters PR-D the shaft to the enige room is visible. Behind the letters PR-D and the pile of wood the not-rectangular hole is the future aft staircase.