Welcome to the website of the Friends of steamship Rotterdam
The Steamship Rotterdam Foundation celebrates 20 years activities for the ss Rotterdam
In 2001 we started striving for a new life for the ss Rotterdam in the Rotterdam harbour. The ss Rotterdam came into service for Holland-America Line as their flagship in 1959. Built by the Rotterdam Drydock Company, she is the largest passenger liner ever built in the Netherlands, numbered among the most successful liners ever sailing the seven seas. The ship has largely kept her original character and remains in good condition. Housing company Woonbron has given her a profound refurbishment by which she can service as a static liner for many years. Please explore our website for more information about the history of the ss Rotterdam. Steamship Rotterdam Foundation, alias Friends of steamship Rotterdam, continues her activities including securing a lasting preservation and use in a culturally and historically responsible manner. We are not the owners or operators of the ship. WestCord Hotels are the owners since June 2013.
Please visit the website of the operators www.ssrotterdam.nl for information about possibilities on board.
Picture Jan-Willem Koene
Art-restoration fund for the ss Rotterdam
The ss Rotterdam has many artworks. Some of them have to be restorated. In cooperation with the Cultural Heritage Agency and the training Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage of the University of Amsterdam and WestCord Hotels, our foundation has initiated a survey of the mural in the Grand Ballroom. Now we are raising funds for the restoration of the mural and other artworks. Donations are very welcome on: INGB NL28 0000 0195 95; BIC: INGBNL2A. on behalf of Stichting behoud stoomschip Rotterdam. Please mention: Donation to Art restoration fund. When using Paypal please mention: firstname.lastname@example.org
The mural Aegean Sea in the Grand Ballroom (former Ritz Carlton), by Cuno van den Steene Picture Klaas Krijnen
Become Friend of Steamship Rotterdam!
The bronze of Queen Juliana has been replaced at the entrance of the Queens Lounge. It was a gift of the Rotterdam Drydock Company, in remembrance of the christening of the ss Rotterdam by Her Majesty on September 13 1958. The bronze was designed by Pieter de Monchy....read more
The original fathometer has been replaced on the original spot in the wheelhouse. Picture Klaas Krijnenread more
The aft end of the Upper-Promenadedeck is being renovated. The teak deck was in a very bad condition. Now the wood has been removed the lengthening of the steel deck in about 1986 can be seen. Other interesting historical facts are the ‘diamond plate’ for...read more