Welcome to the website of the Friends of steamship Rotterdam
Since 2001 we have been striving for a new life for the ss Rotterdam in the Rotterdam harbour. The Rotterdam came into service for Holland-America Line as their flagship in 1959. Built by the Rotterdam Drydock Company, she is the largest passenger liner ever built in the Netherlands and is numbered among the most successful liners which ever sailed the seven seas. The ship has largely kept her original character and remains in good condition. The new owners gave her a profound refurbishment so she can be in service as a static liner for many years. Please explore out website for more information about the history of the ss Rotterdam. Steamship Rotterdam Foundation, alias Friends of steamship Rotterdam, continues her activities including securing a lasting preservation and use in a culturally and historically responsible manner. We are not the owners or operators of the ship. WestCord Hotels are the owners since June 2013. Please see the website of the operators www.ssrotterdam.nl for information about possibilities on board.
Art-restoration fund for the ss Rotterdam
The ss Rotterdam has many artworks. Some of them have to be restorated. In cooperation with the Cultural Heritage Agency and the training Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage of the University of Amsterdam and WestCord Hotels, our foundation has initiated a survey of the mural in the Grand Ballroom. Now we are raising funds for the restoration of the mural and other artworks. Donations are very welcome on: INGB NL28 0000 0195 95; BIC: INGBNL2A. Please mention: Donation to Art restoration fund. When using Paypal please mention: email@example.com
The mural Aegean Sea in the Grand Ballroom (former Ritz Carlton), made by Cuno van den Steene Picture made by Klaas Krijnen
Become Friend of Steamship Rotterdam!
At the end of July 1958 the superstructure was ready up to the level of the Sundeck. The anchor machinery is being placed and the breakwater is ready. Work is being done on the top of the shafts to the two forward holds. The second picture shows the temporarily roof...read more
This week our volunteers installed three screens with pictures near the steering machine. The pictures show the bridge, the steering machine, propellors, rudder and kitchen. Because the exposition room has been used as tailor’s shop, a picture has been added of...read more
At the end of June 1958 the front of the superstructure of the ship has grown till Boatdek. In the grooves in the front of Promenadedeck the derricks will be placed. The second picture shows the back of the ship. The tub of the swimming pool is clearly visible on...read more