Welcome to the website of the Friends of steamship Rotterdam

Since 2001 we have been striving for a new life for the ss Rotterdam in the Rotterdam harbour.

The Rotterdam came into service for Holland-America Line as their flagship in 1959. Built by the Rotterdam Drydock Company, she is the largest passenger liner ever built in the Netherlands and is numbered among the most successful liners which ever sailed the seven seas. The ship has largely kept her original character and remains in good condition. The new owners gave her a profound refurbishment so she can be in service as a static liner for many years. Please explore out website for more information about the history of the ss Rotterdam.

Steamship Rotterdam Foundation, alias Friends of steamship Rotterdam, continues her activities including securing a lasting preservation and use in a culturally and historically responsible manner. We are not the owners or operators of the ship.

Since February 15 2010 the ss Rotterdam is open for the public. WestCord Hotels are the owners since June 2013. Please see the website of the operators www.ssrotterdam.nl for information about possibilities on board.

Picture by Jan-Willem Koene

Become Friend of Steamship Rotterdam!

News

Third airscoop replaced

Third airscoop replaced

Thanks to Strik Stoomketelverhuur N.V. we were able to replace the third airscoop on the forward deck. The original situation has been restored as it was between 1959 and 1961, when Holland-America Line removed the scoops.  

read more

Progress in the Tropic Bar

Progress in the Tropic Bar

The restoration of the baldachin in the Tropic Bar is nearing completion. Our volunteers are working hard to finish the job in a few weeks. Pictures Jan-Willem Koene  

read more

Artwork restored in inside swimming pool

Artwork restored in inside swimming pool

Our volunteer Jan Fahner has restored the lost piece of art in the inside swimming pool. When the ship was built the artist Jan Rot made an anode aluminium sculpture named ‘Deep sea flora and fauna’. It was placed at the forward bulkhead of the swimming pool....

read more