Pike cars visit the ss Rotterdam

On April 15 the Citroen ID/DS Club Nederland organized a meeting of Pike cars at the quay of the ss Rotterdam. The model dates from 1955. Pictures made by Jan-Willem Koene.

25 years ago

The ss Rotterdam departs from New York in April 1993 (picture Klaas Krijnen)

The building of # 300

After the keel was laid on December 1956 the building of the new flagship of Holland America Line, then known as # 300, went prosperous. On March 28 1958 the front of the Promenadedeck was almost ready, as can be seen on the first picture. Next to the tent the two forward shafts can be seen. On the second picture the aft end of the Lower-Promenadedeck is still open. The booths on the deck are the future bathrooms. Between them the aft shaft to the laundry and refrigerating hold can be seen. In front of the letters PR-D the shaft to the enige room is visible. Behind the letters PR-D and the pile of wood the not-rectangular hole is the future aft staircase.

60 years ago

60 years ago the ss Rotterdam was launched by the Rotterdam Drydock Company. Half a year before a lot of work still had to be done to complete the hull. March 15 1958 the level of the Promenadedeck had been reached. On the first picture can be seen that the bow was still under construction. Below the Lower-Promenadedeck and the Maindeck can be seen. The second picture shows the aft end of the ship with the Lower-Promenadedeck and Maindeck still unfinished. The bollards are being placed on the Maindeck.  Pictures RDM / collection Friends of steamship Rotterdam

Builders’ plates

When the ss Rotterdam left the Holland America Line fleet in 1997 some engineers took builders’ plates from the engine room as a souvenir. We are glad they did it, because who knows what had happened to the plates during the stay at the Bahama’s and during renovation. Fortunately many plates have been handed over to our foundation, some of them on loan. Thanks to Ronald Stolk and Martin Smit. We made replica’s to replace them in the engine room. The funds were raised by Jaap Danhof and Leo Knape.

The generator room in 1993 with the original builders’ plate of the Rotterdam Drydock Company         picture Klaas Krijnen

Our board member Koos Sanderse with the replica      picture Klaas Krijnen

The replica has been mounted on the original spot. Mind the (new) clock which shows about the same time as in 1993   pictures Klaas Krijnen

The replica of the builders’ plate of boiler 4, delivered by De Schelde    picture Klaas Krijnen


Lions and periscope

Our volunteers restored the lions in the arms of the city of Rotterdam on B-deck and polished the brass periscope on the bridge.

The arms of the city of Rotterdam by Nico Witteman on B-deck    picture Klaas Krijnen

During restoration   picture Jan-Willem Koene

The lions after restoration by our volunteer Jan Egberts        pictures Klaas Krijnen

The brass periscope of the magnetic compass on the bridge, polished by our volunteer Aart Leemans   picture Klaas Krijnen